The Board of Education (BOE) meets with a select number of school Clusters each year, facilitated by the local PTAs. These periodic meetings allow both the BOE and the community a unique opportunity to have discussions pertinent to those particular schools. This year, it is our turn. BOE will be visiting with the Magruder Cluster:
FEBRUARY 16th 2017
6:30-7:00 – “Meet and Greet”
7:00-9:00 – Meeting with BOE
Shady Grove Middle School, Media Center
Please save the date and plan to attend. If we really want to get the attention of the Board on some of these issues, we need parents to show up to this meeting. Possible topics to be covered:
- Additional staffing needs within our cluster -- administrative positions, para, special education, security, media specialist, reading, etc.
- Ongoing maintenance issues, failing systems, unmet needs that linger year after year.
- Engagement of a growing ESOL community
- Mental Health/Counseling/Climate issues
- Parity among schools (field trips, opportunities, courses)
- Under-supported Arts
- 4 Year Plans/Trajectory for all students
- Student achievement communications – data reports, elementary report cards, edline-like option for ES
- Math concerns – “math for all” approach and conflict between “course promotion” and “math understanding” (including college-bound trajectory for students that aren’t AP Calc candidates)
- Special Education – ED/Autistic students and necessary support
- Transparency with/access to curriculum
- AP performance in high school(AP scores and correlation data)
- Semester exams – preparing our college-bound students
- STEM pathway --Coding at elem; CS at middle; CTE in CS at high school (student delivery?)
- AEI opportunities in a cluster without HGCs
- Differentiation – how it works (or doesn’t)
Other topics? Please email any additional ideas/concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org!